There is nothing we do more urgent than equipping parents to love their children. Parents of young children are invited to a new Life Group at the Red Brick Church in Stillman Valley. The group will meet at 10:30 on Sunday mornings beginning February 2, 2014.
I don’t think you can argue with the following three propositions. But if you disagree – – let me know in the comments.
- Parenting is one of the most important things parents do in life – – (if not the most important for parents). If we love our children as we should – – and believe eternity is at stake – – then what could be more important?
- Parenting is the most difficult thing parents do. Nothing requires the depth and width of experience as parenting. Parents must address physical, spiritual, and emotional needs for all ages. They must have financial expertise and be prepared to be career consultants. Ideally, a parenting would have degrees in theology, medicine, psychology, accounting and finance. Aerospace is a piece of cake compared to parenting. Nothing is harder.
- Most parents have very, very little training for the most important and difficult part of their lives. Want to become a plumber? Then get ready for an apprenticeship program. Interested in medicine? Talk to a nurse or physician about what is required and be prepared for a lot of years of study. But children are handed to parents with a couple of handouts. We may or may not have the example of good parents to draw on. But even then more instruction is needed.
Now, if you agree with those three propositions — and I I think they are unassailable – – -and if you are a parent of young children – – -then you will see the need to be urgent about being equipped as a parent.
We believe this so deeply at the Red Brick Church in Stillman Valley, that we are starting a new parents Life Group in our church. The class targets parents of children ages 9 and under and will be meet at 10:30 on Sunday mornings at the Red Brick Church.
The first curriculum this Life Group studies will be Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Paul Tripp.
This group already has great leadership – – and a great nucleus of young parents – – but we are praying for more to get involved. The objective of our young parents life group will be to:
- Educate and equip parents.
- Assimilate parents into community.
- Care for one another.
We have a wonderful core group of families for this Life Group. We are praying for more to get involved.